<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="65001"%> Moving Home Checklist: Utilities | Blogs | Cotswold Carriers

The Ultimate Checklist for Moving Home: Energy Providers, Your GP and More

The Ultimate Checklist for Moving Home: Energy Providers, Your GP and More

When you choose to move home, there are several service providers you will need to inform. You will need to inform your previous providers as well as register with new providers. We've made a list of who to contact: (GP, water, gas, energy, council, vote, tv licence, internet provider, etc.).

Cotswold Carriers have over 40 years experience in removals in the Cotswold and surrounding areas. We are also a member of the British Association of Removers (BAR), so rest assured you are with a reputable, professional and financially protected company.

Moving Home Checklist: Utilities

Plan for your move

Plan your move well in advance. Providing yourself with plenty of time will help you avoid stress during the move. It's best to focus on the most urgent tasks first and to be flexible since even the best plans can go awry. A folder with all the documents you need for your move should also be readily available.

Inform your utility providers and other essential institutions

If you’re moving to a new location, remember to cancel all utilities that can't be transferred and reconnect them once you've settled in. Make sure you tell household utility providers, financial companies, insurance service providers and other institutions about your move.

Electoral Register

The Electoral Registration Office should be notified when you move house. You can go to gov.uk/register-to-vote to re-register at your new address. You will only need a few minutes to complete it. Providing your old address may also be required to ensure that your records are current and you’re no longer using the old address.

Consider contacting your previous council's Electoral Roll office to make sure you are no longer listed under your old address. After your new address is registered, your new council should remove your old listing for you, but you should also check to ensure everything is in order.

Are you moving abroad? Generally, it is possible to vote in the UK Parliamentary Elections 15 years after leaving the country, under the condition that you register as an overseas voter. However, you should contact the Electoral Registration Office directly to get the best advice.

Council Tax

Moving can be made easier by notifying your local council in advance. Contacting your local council before you move will also help you avoid paying council tax on your old home.

In cases of local moves, and you are moving to the same council area, you may be able to begin creating your new council tax account at the same time as closing your previous one. Meanwhile, if you’re moving to a new local authority, all it takes is a quick phone call and notifying the new council. Online address changes are also possible.

Gas and Electricity

Electricity and gas suppliers should be notified if you’re moving home (Scottish Power, for example). The notice should be given at least 48 hours in advance. When you move out, read your metres, and let your supplier know the readings. Keeping a record of the measurements you took will prove useful if you disagree with the final bill. Then, provide your supplier with a forwarding address, so the final invoice can be mailed to you.

Water Supply

It's best to inform your water provider if you’re moving home (Thames Water, for instance) as soon as possible so that your final bill is accurate and you do not overpay. You can usually give your water provider a two-week notice before moving out.

There are two charges on your UK water bill: one for water consumption and another for sewerage and wastewater treatment. The water and sewerage company at your new address will need to be contacted and a new account will need to be established.

TV Licence: Moving Home Checklist

You must also contact your cable provider, such as Sky, when moving home and change your TV licence address, preferably three months before moving. If you move out of the UK, and the licence isn't needed before expiration, a refund may be available. In which case, refund requests can be submitted online. Alternatively, you can also terminate your licence without getting a refund.


You have to decide whether you wish to remain with your current broadband provider. It’s also essential to consider other factors, such as the term of your current contract. You should check the length of your broadband contract and its remaining duration since some broadband providers charge early cancellation penalties.

As long as you're not locked into a contract, you can cancel at any time. However, most providers require 30 days' notice before cancellation, so call them as soon as you confirm your move-out date.

Your GP

It is not necessary to change doctors if you are moving house and staying in your current GP's catchment area. Sometimes, a general practitioner will continue to see you even if you move outside their catchment area. However, they must verify that they are willing to do so to the Clinical Commissioning.

If you do prefer changing GPs, then you can do so easily. It is just a matter of registering with the new GP and having your medical records transferred.

Other Essential Institutions

You should also inform the following about your move:

  • HMRC
  • DVLA
  • Employer
  • University or college
  • Bank
  • Credit card companies
  • Loan companies
  • Pension scheme provider
  • Pet insurance provider
  • Subscription providers (e.g., monthly magazine subscriptions)

Pack and label things for your house move

Decide which items you will need in your new home and which should be thrown out or given away before packing everything up. After decluttering your belongings, divide them into categories of importance. For instance, you should have your essentials bag or box, where you can stash items like hygiene products, chargers and devices.

Remember to create an inventory list and label your boxes accordingly when packing.

Partner with a removal company

Hiring a professional removal company is a much easier option than doing all the heavy lifting yourself. A professional mover undergoes extensive training to ensure that your possessions are protected during the move. They will be responsible for your move and guarantee that all of your belongings are delivered safely to your new home.

In the process of relocating, you will require more time to accomplish tasks, which will include taking care of your utilities and notifying numerous providers.

When you partner with Cotswold Carriers, we will help you save time, and you can rest assured every item will be handled carefully and transported safely to your new home. Feel free tocontact us to save yourself from hassles during your next move.

Cotswold Carriers is a family run business, based in Oxfordshire, with over 40 years’ experience in domestic and commercial removals – both in the UK and Europe. As a member of the British Association of Removers (BAR) you can feel confident that when you employ any of our removal services, you are using a reputable, professional and financially protected company. All BAR Members are also monitored by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute. Contact us today for a free, no obligation quote.

to the top